Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

Chocolate Cake... The Breakfast of Skinny People!


When I was little, the morning after our birthdays, we were allowed to have birthday cake for breakfast.  Mmm… so decadent!  When I grew up, I added pie to the “ OK for Breakfast” list as usually it included fruit.  Sounds healthy, right?

I recently read an article that cited a study which said that women who ate sweets for breakfast lost more weight than women who ate a healthy breakfast.  They don’t know why that is, but I love, love, love this study!

In that spirit, I am sharing one of my favorites.  My uncle passed on this recipe that, not surprisingly, is very guy friendly, also.  It is easy and fast to whip up for unexpected guests or as a last minute dessert idea, or, well… for breakfast!  It is one of the best chocolate cakes I have ever tasted.  It is rich, dense, moist and chocolate-y good.  And I always have all the ingredients, so it can be made on a whim.

Here’s the thing: I have played with this recipe and thought, I am sure I don’t have to really make the holes and alternate the liquids.  I mean, what difference would that make?  And if I make it in a round cake pan and made two so I could stack them, that shouldn't matter, right?  Wrong.  Make this recipe exactly as directed or you won’t be as pleased with the results.  I am not sure why, but it is so. Some things, like why chocolate cake for breakfast works as a diet food, are just a mystery!


Wacky Cake

1 ½ c all purpose flour
3 TBS mounded, cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar (I use balsamic)
5 TBS canola oil
1 c water

  1. Put dry ingredients into 8 x 8 baking pan and mix until well blended.
  2. Make 3 holes and add liquid, alternating each hole.
  3. Pour water over all and mix well.  Make sure to get the corners and sides of the pan.
  4. Bake at 350˚ in preheated oven 30-40 minutes.  Test for doneness by poking toothpick or wooden skewer in center of cake.  If it comes out clean, cake is done.  Do not over bake!
  5. Cool on wire rack.  Do not remove from pan.  Ice as desired.  Serves 9-16 depending on cut sizes.

Mocha Icing

½ c unsalted butter
3 TBS mounded, cocoa
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla
3 c confectioner’s sugar
3 TBS milk, warmed
1 tsp rounded, instant coffee crystals

  1. Warm milk for 45 seconds in microwave in a glass measuring cup.  Add coffee crystals and mix until well blended.  Cool.
  2. Whip butter to slightly soften in mixing bowl.  Add cocoa, salt and vanilla and whip until well blended, scraping bowl as needed. 
  3. Add sugar and mix on low to incorporate.
  4. Increase mixer speed to medium and drizzle in milk mixture, 1 tsp at a time until desired spreading consistency. 
  5. Spread icing on cooled cake. 
 Enjoy!  I will be seeing you on the beach in your bikini!!  


© Michelle Stanifer 2013.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment