Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

Chuckwagon Stew


My husband loves his comfort food.  Recently, I have been making what I call “Chuckwagon Stew.”  It’s a beef stew made with ground beef.  It’s quick, easy, cheap and, a term I heard once, ghettolicious! 

The last time I made it, I thought I would like to try it with dumplings.  I haven’t had a dumpling since I was perhaps 8 years old.  I wasn’t even sure I remembered what they were supposed to taste like.  I have heard of dumplings that were heavy and doorstop-ish so care must be taken to avoid that dumpling recipe! 

As I usually do when I have an idea for a recipe, I research the food on the web and then I improvise.  They turned out light, velvety, and delicious.  I was impressed with my dumplings, so I am sharing.  I hope you like them too. 

Dumplings
INGREDIENTS:
1 ½ c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp white sugar
½ tsp salt
2 TBS cold butter
1 egg
½ c milk
*** 1 TBS parsley flakes

DIRECTIONS:
1. Sift or stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl with wire whisk until light and well blended. I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer with whisk attachment.  I hate sifting, so I just whip on low until my dry ingredients are light and fluffy.  *** To make parsley dumplings, add 1 tablespoon parsley flakes to the dry ingredients.
2. Cut in butter until crumbly.  I also use my whisk attachment for this.  I whisk on low until the butter and flour mixture resembles cornmeal.  
3. With a hand held wire whisk, whip egg until well blended.  Whisk in milk until thick and fluffy. 
4. Add egg and milk mixture to dry ingredients and whip for 30 seconds to blend and make a soft dough.
5. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling stew or soup. Cover and simmer 15 minutes without lifting lid. Serve.

Chuckwagon Stew
INGREDIENTS
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced
4-6 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, minced
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced thin
8 oz sliced mushrooms
¼ c flour
½ c green beans, cut (optional)
2 large potatoes, cubed
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 lbs canned diced tomatoes (+/-)
2 c water
2-3 tsp beef base or 3-4 beef bullion cubes
1 TBS flaked parsley or minced fresh parsley
2-3 bay leaves

DIRECTIONS:
In Dutch oven or large pot, brown ground beef with onion and garlic.  Add celery, carrots and mushrooms.  Cook until softened. 

Sprinkle on flour and stir with wooden spoon until incorporated.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are softened. 

Once potatoes are softened, add dumplings, cover and simmer another 15 minutes. 

Makes 4-6 servings depending on how hungry you are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment