Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Computer Trouble

As happens with most computers, ours caught a virus.  My husband, through his research, determined that we had a particularly pernicious virus; one that would require him to download special software to remove.  So he downloaded the "special software" and scrubbed our computer.  He deleted all the infected files and then deleted our old browsers and installed new.

The problem arose when we tried to access the internet.  We knew we were connected because the computer told us so.  We had squeaky clean new browsers and we were cured of the awful virus that was diverting all our web searches to other pages, so now what was the problem?  My poor husband sat upstairs in our office for two days trying to figure it out.  Each evening he would come downstairs looking somewhat defeated and check his email on our other computer.

"Hon, would you take a look at the computer while I'm at work and see if you can get it to go online?" he asked.  Fine.  But if he couldn't do it with a master's degree in Computer Mumbo-Jumbo, what was I going to do?  So I tried.  Now we had each attempted tweaking and adjusting settings to find and fix the problem, each of us suspecting the other of having great technical abilities that neither of us apparently possessed.  Each of us failed.

The IT department at my husband's place of employment recommended PC eSupport.  They charge an affordable flat rate no matter how long it takes and they don't charge if the can't fix it.  I supposed it was worth a try.  So I called.

Don't mind the hookers on their web page.  (Hey, sex sells, you know!)  Despite the somewhat collegiate looking website, they were entirely professional and made an appointment to have a technician call me within the hour.  The technician called 20-30 minutes later, had me download a few programs to my laptop and move them to the desktop computer.  Then he walked me through starting the programs and running them.  The technician explained that the programs would need to run a few minutes and that he would call me back in about five.

Well, anyone who has ever worked with technical support and actually sat by the phone waiting for the technician to call you back in "five" knows that you have time to shower, run to the grocery store, start dinner, and walk the dogs before you will hear back from them.  So I went downstairs to make a pot of coffee and wait.  As I am rinsing out the pot, my technician calls me back.  He tells me that (not asks me whether) the program has completed.

Thinking there would be more action required of me, I explained that I needed to go back upstairs.  "No need," he said.  "I just wanted to let you know that the program worked and I am in your computer repairing it now.  I will call you back when I am finished."  I didn't know what to say.  I think I managed to eek out, "Um, OK," before hanging up.

I made my coffee and went up to watch.  I am always fascinated by the "ghost in the machine" when they take control via remote access.  I watched as he deftly moved programs around and deleted and added things to my computer.  After a total of about fifteen minutes or so, he called me back and told me it was working now.  Additionally, he had found a few more viruses and removed them and then gave the whole computer a "tune up."  I was dumbfounded.

When he asked if I wanted to purchase six months of ongoing virus support from them, I immediately replied in the affirmative.  OMG!  These guys are awesome!  I would call them again in a heartbeat, especially now, since I am pre-paid.  So now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment